Home  |  About  |  PortfolioExperience  |  Services  |  Raves  |  Blog  |  Contact

Saturday, May 14, 2011

Sharing my garden in May

I am always thankful for the beauty in my garden in May; after pruning, tying back and fertilizing my roses each winter, I am blessed by the abundance of blooms unfolding in May.
December and January are the quiet months for weddings, so that is when I have time to care for the 30+ roses in my small Palo Alto garden; by early Spring, when the buds are opening into a glorious display of color covering my workshop, picket fence and arbor, I am so busy with wedding planning I could never do all the work I was able to do in the winter. But this is when I most need the refreshment provided through the scents, colors and complexity found in my well nurtured, established rose plants.

This week I had some time to make bouquets for friends, neighbors, and clients, and to take a few photos to share with those of you who can't enjoy my garden bounty in person.

A close up of the Westerland Rose as it is opening; below is a bouquet made up of the same rose, when the bud has fully opened. This the rose I have incorporated into my logo and business card, as a reminder of the beauty and complexity of God's creation, and the joy of the work He has given me.


The Climbing Eden rose makes up the majority of the bouquet below; I love this rose because it is as full as a peony when it opens completely, yet is much easier to grow here in California than peonies, which seem to do best with extremely cold winters. I prefer California with mild winters, and peony-like roses!


The Pilgrim rose (below) is another English rose; each bloom is filled with hundreds of layers of petals similar to the way a peony unfolds in layer after layer of softness. The Pilgrim was the first rose I planted in my garden, and it has faithfully graced my workshop roof with creamy yellow beauty for over 18 years.


Reminiscent of wild roses, the delicate rose bush below provides small bouquets on each stem; it blooms prolifically all summer on the deck behind our small home. I often sit at the table there to work on client files, and/or to enjoy a cup of tea and gaze at the diverse beauty of my beloved garden.


The variegated red and white rose below is called Korikole; it occupies a prominent spot at the back of my garden, just under the Climbing Eden rose pictured above in a small bouquet.


As Spring moves quickly in to Summer, and my wedding season becomes even more busy, I have less time to work in my garden, but the roses and other perennial plants continue to provide the beauty I am thankful for whenever I have a chance to stop and smell my roses!

No comments: