Home  |  About  |  PortfolioExperience  |  Services  |  Raves  |  Blog  |  Contact

Saturday, June 13, 2009

Vintage Elegance, Fairmont Hotel, SF


As many of you know, I love staying in hotels when I coordinate a wedding away from Palo Alto. I enjoy absorbing the ambiance, partaking in the amenities, and being an anonymous traveler, watching people, writing in my journal, and reserving my energy for the day of the wedding itself.


This past weekend I had the pleasure of staying at the San Francisco Fairmont Hotel on the top of Nob Hill; the view out of my window was amazing! Build in 1906, and rebuilt in 1907, after the SF earthquake, the hotel has a feeling of history and classic elegance I just love...and they made the windows so huge back then! I was able to open the window in my room to the panorama of SF Bay, Alcatraz Island, Coit Tower, and Treasure Island!


After the Friday afternoon rehearsal at Merchant's Exchange, in the heart of downtown SF, I put on my walking shoes, and explored the area between my hotel window and Fisherman's Wharf...during my one hour "explore" I crossed Chinatown, Little Italy, to finally land in SF tourism central, Pier 39! I don't need to get on a plane to experience international cultures!

The lobby at the Fairmont is breathtaking! It remains just as it was in the early 1900's, when presidents, movie stars, and railroad tycoons made The Fairmont their home base for San Francisco meetings and celebrations. The Italian marble floors and pillars, opulent light fixtures, and the pure grandeur of the high ceilings and curving stairways speak of a bygone era, yet welcome guests from the 21st century to enjoy the ambiance and savor the beauty, just as it was.

I spent a lot of time in this lobby on Saturday, the wedding day, because my bride and groom, and wedding party were having pre-ceremony photos taken here, and the transportation to the wedding ceremony left from the hotel entrance. Throughout the day, I was constantly amazed by the personal, competent, and extremely friendly service we experienced with each and every Fairmont Hotel staff member. Sometimes a large hotel, which is a common sight-seeing spot for visitors, can become "hardened", or impersonal, but not at the Fairmont! When I find a venue such as the Faimont, where my clients are treated as if their wedding is the most important event of the year, and that each of their requests is of prime VIP importance, that is a place I will recommend over and over!

Plus, look at the wonderful room I had to come back to after a very long (13 hour) wedding day, and the sunset view from my beloved and huge window...I can highly recommend the SF Fairmont hotel, from personal experience!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

hi jean,

i could not agree more...the fairmont san francisco is truly exquisite!

i may have mentioned this to you already......after the 1906 earthquake, julia morgan was commissioned for restoration and major repairs because her then-innovative use of reinforced concrete produced buildings that could withstand earthquakes and other disasters.

another julia morgan connection.....so, it was truly the perfect place to incorporate our wedding celebration!!!

grosses bises,
-haidee